Are you wondering which is the best commercial course to study in Nigeria? If you’re considering a commercial career, you’re probably trying to choose the right course.
Choosing a course in the commercial field can be challenging. Our aim in this article is to make it easier for you to make the right choice and to present you with several other commercial course options that you can study in Nigerian universities.
This guide will help you to make the right choice and not find yourself studying useless degrees that are not marketable in Nigeria.
What Is The Best Commercial Course In Nigeria?
The best commercial course in Nigeria is Economics.
The Best Commercial Course To Study In Nigeria: Economics
Economics is primarily concerned with managing and utilizing resources by individuals, groups, and nations. Nigeria is a growing economy and offers many opportunities to aspiring economists. As an economist, you can literary work in any field, considering that job hunting in Nigeria is a difficult process. Studying economics gives you the leverage to pitch to any industry and earn a good salary.
The study of economics gives students the ability to comprehend complex markets and solve problems analytically and creatively, in addition to providing the business acumen needed to succeed in the workforce.
We have written extensively on the opportunities in Economics as a course/career; please check our guides to studying economics in Nigeria.
Best Commercial Course To Study: Why Is Economics Our Best Pick?
Employers highly value economic degrees because they are a top list of skills that can be transferred from one industry to another. You can gain these skills by studying economics.
The concept of economics, models, and relationships are also necessary for many careers; this means that many professions require knowledge of economics concepts, making it easy for students who studied economics to switch jobs in the future easily.
Various career paths are available to economics students, including finance, banking, insurance, politics, healthcare administration, economists, portfolio managers, corporate finance analysts, management consultants, financial advisors, and more. This makes it the best commercial course to study in Nigeria.
Overview Of The Best Commercial Course To Study In Nigeria
|Qualification||B.A. B.Sc. (Hons.)|
|How many years?||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course?||Commercial and Art Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
Requirements For Studying The Best Commercial Course (Economics) In A Nigerian University
Below are the WAEC Subject Combination For The Best Commercial Course.
The maximum number of subjects you can register for an Economics degree in WAEC, NECO or GCE is nine. If you are retaking the course, you may choose less than nine subjects.
In order to study for an Economics degree at any Nigerian university, you have to earn at least 5 credit passes in the 9 subjects listed below.
Nevertheless, if you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each University’s special requirements for this course to see if they accept an alternative subject in place of that one.
The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for the best commercial course to study in Nigeria (Economics) are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Any Nigerian Language
JAMB Subject Combination For Economics
A degree in the best commercial course at the University also requires you to register for four subjects, including English. Furthermore, the University will also consider your JAMB and POST UTME scores to determine your cumulative score for admission.
For better chances of gaining admission to Economics Degree courses, you must score 220 or higher in JAMB. Scores between 180-190 are still considered acceptable, but you do not stand a chance against those who scored higher.
The 4 JAMB subject combinations to study the best commercial course (Economics) are:
- English Language
- Any of Government, Geography, Lit-in English, and CRS/IRS
Direct Entry Requirement (required A-level result) To Study The Best Commercial Course (Economics)
To be considered for direct entry to the University to study Economics, you must have NCE/Diploma with Upper Credit in the relevant subjects in addition to five credits at SSCE in no more than two sittings and five credits at WAEC.
List Of The Courses For Commercial Student
Supposed you do not meet the qualification to study economics, here are alternatives of the best commercial courses to study in Nigeria:
- Office and Information Management
- Public Administration
- Transport and Planning
- Business Administration
- Political Science
- Human Resources Management
- Mass Communication
Where To Study The Best Commercial Course In Nigeria
Here is the list of Universities offering Economics Degree in Nigeria:
- Baze University
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chrisland University
- Christopher University Mowe
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Covenant University Ota
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko Imo State
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Augustine University
- The American University of Nigeria, Yola (AUN)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Pan-Atlantic University, Lagos
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene Akwa Ibom
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University,
- Southwestern University
- Oku Owa, Summit University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Yobe State University, Damaturu.
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
This is our opinion that Economics is the best commercial course to study in Nigeria, you should do your research before pursuing Economics as a career. If you are interested in more information regarding the best courses to study in Nigeria, check out the our guide on the most useful degrees in Nigeria.
If traditional school is not what you are looking for, you can study economics online which still offers equal opportunities of fulfilling your dreams.