|Duration:||4 months (start in late February 2023)|
|Hours:||40 hrs/week paid experience|
|Deadline:||November 7, 11:59pm local time|
If you are looking for hands-on experience in The Software Engineering industry then you should consider applying for a paid software engineering internship because this will help you to gain in-dept experience and also get paid. Applications are currently open for the Wikipedia Foundation 2022 Paid Software Engineering Internship. This opportunity is made possible by Wikipedia Foundation.
Who can apply?
- Non Graduates
- You may apply if you are seeking a career change and are interested in developing your software engineering skills through an immersive learn on the job internship program.
In your role as an intern, you will be assigned a primary project with a clear deliverable and embedded into an engineering team within our Product and Technology departments.
In collaboration with your manager and mentor, you will learn how our open source code contributes to creating “a world where everyone has access to all knowledge”. You will be working with software that serves over half a billion page views per day through Wikipedia (and other Wikimedia projects).
Ultimately, your work will influence how people around the globe discover, share, and contribute to free knowledge.
The program will also provide you with the opportunity to learn more about the Foundation’s various departments and to get involved in the wider volunteer movement.
Wikipedia Foundation 2022 Paid Internship Details
Applicants must commit to a four-month, 40-hour/week internship between late February and early June 2023. Laptops and necessary software will be provided for the duration of the program. Although this role is 100% remote, there may be opportunities to meet other interns and teams in person.
POTENTIAL TEAM OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE
Selected candidates will be able to join any of these specialized teams:
- Performance Team – Through the Performance Team, readers and editors can access and render content instantly, from anywhere, on a variety of devices, on any connection profile.
- Community Tech Team – The Community Tech team runs the Community Wishlist Survey. Among its features are curation and moderation tools for experienced users, bot operators, and more.
- Research Science Team – use data to empower readers and contributors who use Wikipedia and its sister projects every day.
- Growth Team – To help people become Wikipedia editors, the Growth Team introduces learning and editing workflows that are compatible with all types of devices, especially for emerging communities. We build a cohesive new editor experience, helping them find a place in our communities, connect with others, and start contributing their knowledge.
- Design Systems Team & Web Team – This team is responsible for building and maintaining a design system platform for wikis that provides shared services of tools and guidelines for building user interfaces in an efficient, scalable, and equitable way.
- Security Team – The security team includes multidisciplinary experts with specialized knowledge in fields like privacy, application security, and threat management.
- Site Reliability Engineering Team – Besides building the bare-metal infrastructure, our SRE Infrastructure Foundations team also develops the platform, configuration management, and automation tools used by our other SRE teams.
Requirements for Wikipedia Foundation 2022 Paid Software Engineering Internship
- Cover Letter
- Work Permit
- Likendln Profile
- Able to work 40 hours per week for four months
- Basic database experience
- Basic experience with at least one scripting language
- Problem-solving ability
- Ability to stay accountable to deliverable requirements deadlines
- Effective communication skills
- Positive attitude, willingness to learn
- Curiosity and a hunger for knowledge
- The ability to flourish in a highly transparent and collaborative environment
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access to global education
How to Apply
- To start your application process as a intern in the Wikipedia Foundation 2022 Paid Software Engineering Internship, you need to fill out the online form that is available on the Wikimedia Foundation on boards.greenhouse.io. Start by filling out your basic information.
- Submit your CV and cover letter respectively. Furthermore, you need to indicate that you are authorized to work in the country where you reside.
- Submit your LinkedIn profile. You can create a LinkedIn profile here if you don’t have one.
- Choose the production team you are interested in. We have listed the teams above. You can also check the website to see the teams that you might be interested in.
- You also need to confirm that you’re able to work 40 hours per week for four months between February to June.
- You also need to confirm that you have basic knowledge upfront of a Front-end or Back-end programming language.
The Wikipedia Foundation 2022 paid software engineering internship is open for everyone even if you have a disability, you are eligible to apply. See the Official Website for more information.
How can I get an internship at Wikimedia Foundation?
You can apply for the Wikimedia Foundation Paid Software Engineering internship program which begins in February 2023. Applications are currently open.
I have a disability can I apply for the 2023 Wikimedia Foundation Internship?
Yes, the Wikimedia Foundation Software Engineer Internship is open to people with disabilities, you only need to indicate when filling the online form.